Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Marilyn, It, and Me

Did you ever look at a sewer grate and worry that, if you walk on top of it, you'll fall right through the bars?  Sure, it may be irrational, but that doesn't make the fear any less real.  Going to college and majoring in Education is a lot like walking on top of a sewer grate.  Certain classes, professors, theories, and experiences may make you feel like, at any second, the grate will give way and you'll be lost to the watery grave of chewed-gum, crumpled leaves, and Steven King's It character forever.  In the next minute, however, you could be a Marilyn Monroe look-alike, not only walking on the grate, but posing, allowing this previous fear to not only help you, but allowing it to make you famous.  That's what this blog is about.  My name is Kara, I'm an English Education major in my second year of school, and I will be writing about the sewer grate that is the college experience.  Some days you may feel like you're about to slip through and get washed away... but other days... 
boy, can this place blow your dress up!

2 comments:

  1. Kara, I absolutely love this analogy. Not only did you write it in such a creative way, but it is so true. From my experience so far as well, some of the education classes leave me completely overwhelmed with my mind muddled. Others, leave me thrilled and eager to get my hands dirty in the classroom. I look forward to reading your posts as you continue to write your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this analogy as well! I really understand what you mean about the workload of being and English education major being somewhat overwhelming. Having about a million things to read and also a million papers to write, it makes me seem as if there are not enough hours in the day. It is very challenging trying to balance the classwork we have in college, but in a way it prepares us for balancing all of the work we will some day have as teachers as well. I look forward to reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete