Thursday, February 9, 2012

Assigned Seats, Courage, and Rules to Live By

There are rules I think every college student should live by: always come to class early, and never turn down someone who has the courage to ask you out (unless they're really creepy) Today, both of these rules collided.  Sitting in my assigned lecture-hall seat, I was surprised to see a boy walking towards me.  He sat down in the chair next to me, which was not his seat.  An avid rule follower and attendance policy freak, I immediately panicked.  "Um... that's not your seat?  Are you sitting there now or something?"  He proceeded to tell me that he remembered and really enjoyed my answer to a question in class weeks before, and asked for my number.  Meanwhile, the sedated stampede that is hungover and about-to-be-late college students was pouring into the lecture hall, and this boy's lack of regard for the assigned-seating attendance policy was causing quite the traffic jam.  Not one to enjoy causing a scene, being rude, or having my face turn red for longer than necessary, I quickly granted this boy's wish and sent him back to his seat.  Having the next 75 minutes to reflect on this scenario, I realized that it was a prime "college lesson."  Good things happen when you come to class early.  Good things happen when you have courage.  Good things happen when you participate in class.  We come to college to get an education, good grades, a degree, and a future... but you can learn outside of the classroom too.  Hey, you can even learn inside the classroom, before the bell rings.  You just need to have a bit of courage.

3 comments:

  1. I already commented twice this week but I love reading your blog...this was too precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I love reading your blogs Kara, this made me laugh. For some reason your blogs make me think of the way Carrie writes her stories in Sex and the City. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This read to me like the opening of a chapter in an educational text. If you ever do decide to author books about education, you should certainly share this.

    ReplyDelete