Friday, February 17, 2012

Bullies, Trouble-Makers, and The Class of 2010

"Go ahead, throw it."  "Kara, be careful!"  "Don't worry... he won't throw it."
After reading one of my classmate's blogs, I had one of those movie moments in my head, a flashback as they like to call it in the literary world.  I remembered being a little bad-ass on the playground of my rural, farm-town elementary school.  I can see, in my head, all 60 pounds of little elementary school me, standing up to the big bully throwing basketballs at girls on the playground.  I gave him such attitude, such lip, and I showed no fear.


I used to be quite the trouble-maker in school.  Nothing major, don't get me wrong, and I was a very smart little girl.  However, I was that kid who would slide down the banister leaving the gifted education program, I was that kid, who would talk during class and wind up clapping erasers at the end of the school day.  I was that kid who always took the projects to another level... the "she probably crossed the line, but it's so detailed and accurate I'm not going to do anything about it but shake my head" level.  I was smart, and I was often bored- a dangerous combination.

When I read my classmate's blog about how some individuals think teaching the next generation isn't feasible, I chuckled.  When I was in middle school, I wrote a poem about my class, the class of 2010.  I don't remember the poem, and I don't know that it's saved anywhere, but I remember the title: "The Walls Will Miss Us When We're Gone."  My class was the class labeled as "trouble."  We were "disrespectful."  Our generation was "impossible."  We were "never going to make it."  But, boy were we fun!  We did creative projects, we twisted assignments around, putting a new spin on them.  We took discussions too far, keeping the teachers on their toes.  We made our own spirit days, and we made the years that we traveled the hallways interesting.  It's kids like us, the "trouble-makers," the "bored smart kids," the "Danny Zukos" and "Ren MacCormacks" of public education, that excite meI can't wait to teach this next "unteachable" generation.  And to all those who say it's impossible... challenge accepted.  And to public school walls everywhere, bored because the students aren't as "troublesome" as the Class of 2010 was... don't worry.  We're coming back... as teachers.

1 comment:

  1. All I have to say is I LOVE THIS!
    The way you write your blogs is just plain awesome. This post especially excited me. I can't wait to be the teacher! :)

    ReplyDelete