Friday, February 24, 2012

Cellphones, Statistics, and Kids These Days

"When I was a kid, we had to walk three miles in the snow to get to school... uphill both ways!"
When I was a kid, I used to borrow my mom's cellphone if I had an afterschool activity so I could call my house-phone when I was done and get a ride home.  Kids these days have cellphones when they're three.  They use internet at the age of five, and they have social networking profiles fresh out of the womb.  According to our readings in the assigned text for class, Adolescents and Digital Literacies: Learning Alongside Our Students, 55% of teens ages 12-17 have an online social networking profile.  When I was a kid, I had to beg to sign up for a Facebook account at age sixteen, I did not have text messaging until I was seventeen, and I didn't even know what "sexting" was.  Kids these days are completely different.  Society, especially in younger generations, has become so technologically dependent that devoting college classes, like my Writing for Non Print Media class, to utilizing technology in the classroom is completely necessary.  The statistics are rediculous, and always illustrate to me that times are indeed changing.  When I read that all public schools have 100% internet access, and 80% of teens in schools utilize social networking sites, I wonder what it will be like when I'm 80.  My grandparents say things about life in their day, stories filled with hardwork, drive, and dedication.  Will my stories be about living without a cellphone?  Using a house-phone?  Printing pictures from a disposable camera?  When I was a kid...

2 comments:

  1. I entered the smartphone realm as of this past Christmas, and I thought it was slightly overwhelming (embarrassingly enough). While working at the Outlets the other day, an Asian father came into the store pushing his young child in a stroller. Nothing unusual here. However, a few minutes passed and I walked past the stroller and the child was using an iPhone 4. Correctly. Adeptly. Every generation is going to grow up with more than we did, and as such we need to try to stay on top of things as educators or our students will be coming in knowing more than we are able to teach them, especially if they've been interacting with symbols before they can effectively walk across a shopping plaza for extended time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! You write with a lot of verve. I grew up with a lot less technology than my peers. It is hard for me to identify with students who grow up completely dependent on technology.

    ReplyDelete