Thursday, March 1, 2012

All Nighters, Bucket Lists, and Water Towers

"I want to pull an all-nighter!  I've never done that before, how much fun would that be?"  "I want to have a threesome.  Now that would be fun..."  As a Community Assistant, working with the office of Residence Life, I see and hear many interesting things on my floor each day.  Yesterday was no different.  I held a floor social last night, purchasing Chinese food for the entire floor and creating an activity where each resident wrote something they want to accomplish before the end of the semester, creating our very own First Floor West Bucket List.  The entire activity was very entertaining, sparking hilarious conversations and interesting ideas that ranged from the very legal and tame, like "Have a campfire," to the very illegal and dangerous, like, "Climb the school water tower," or, "Finish a bottle of Captain Morgan in one night."  Although I obviously tried to deter the unsafe sex, trespassing, and alcohol use, I also could not help but to smile.  Most of my residents are Freshman, new to the college experience.  Having watched, helped, and guided them since the day they moved in, I feel almost like their mother.  I have even been affectionately dubbed "Mother F" because we reside in Building F on campus.  Although I often worry that they will get arrested, or catch a disease, or just not find their way home to our Building one night, when I stop and think of the wild and vivacious shenanigans that I myself experienced my own Freshman year, I feel a strange mixture of fondness and embarrassment.  Reminiscing about my extracurricular activities and the dreams and bucket list items of my residents, I realize THIS is what college is about.  Sure, it's about receiving an education, but it's also about memories and experiences.  You have four years here.  Four years that you can either spend hidden in your dorm room studying on a Saturday night, or four years you can spend embracing your youth and making memories.  Four years of "climbing the water tower."  The mind blowing, gut wrenching, passion filling aspect of college is that we will never be as young as we are right now.  We will never again have the excuse "Oh, that was back in my college days..."  We will never have our current freedom, lack of responsibility, and environment ever again.  Eventually, we have to find a job, pay bills, raise a family, and worry about our diets.  Eventually we have to dress conservatively, play appropriate music at an appropriate volume, and put disapproving looks on our faces when society says so.  Eventually, we have to grow up.    But for now... for these four years... 
I'm gonna climb the water tower.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this post, Kara. I think it's refreshing to sometimes discuss the "less academic" perspective of that which is college. I really like the bucket idea list and (well, here I go being all academic) think it would make a really interesting ice breaker in a classroom. (with constraints on subject matter, of course.)

    Your freshmen are lucky to have you. It sounds like a great environment and anyone that bought me chinese food would be a friend for life! Seriously though, great post. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this, it reminded me of the Tom Petty quote about college: "I've learned one thing, and that's to quit worrying about stupid things. You have four years to be irresponsible here, relax. Work is for people with jobs. You'll never remember class time, but you'll remember the time you wasted hanging out with your friends. So stay out late. Go out with your friends on a Tuesday when you have a paper due on Wednesday. Spend money you don't have. Drink 'til sunrise. The work never ends, but college does...”

    ReplyDelete