Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Sh*t, Luck, and "Choose Your Own Ending" Books

Trying to console someone who had recently received very upsetting news, I said, "Everything happens for a reason.  You can get through this; it'll be okay!"  She responded,  
"I don't believe everything happens for a reason... I just believe sh*t happens."
Although this could be attributed to my religious beliefs, I really do feel that everything we encounter and every decision we make happens for a reason.  I think there is a bigger plan, and that we are all given the lives we live for a reason.  Even if this is not what you chose to believe, isn't it more comforting than just believing that "sh*t happens?"  I think it is better to look at life, and the challenges that you encounter, with an attitude of, "What am I supposed to be learning from this?"  Rather than, "Oh well, bad things happen."  Although I do believe in fate, luck, God, and throwing salt over your shoulder, I also believe in myself.  I can make better choices to change my future.  I can learn from my mistakes.  Maybe it was a nice little combo of fate and God's sense of humor that caused whatever happened to me to happen, but it is my choice in how I react, how I keep living.  Regardless of what you are struggling with, be it finals, how you're going to live through the case race on Saturday, or a potential life-changing disease, it is up to you how you react.  Life is one of those "choose your own ending" books.  God, fate, and luck have already written the multiple options... it's your choices that determine how your story ends.  Sh*t does happen, but it happens for a reason; choose your story wisely.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and that God places us in situations and puts people, both good and bad, in our lives because it gets us one step closer to the bigger plan. Life is all about perspective...how we look at a situation and the attitude we choose to have.

    ReplyDelete