Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Deep Thoughts, Graduates, and 90's Music

"Closing time, open all the doors and let you out into the world..."       There are three days left of classes, followed by one largely anticipated, often avoided, and highly feared week of finals.  After this week filled to the brim with finals and checking my residents out of the residence hall, my Sophomore year of college will be over, never to be repeated.  I will soon be an upperclassman... "kind of a big deal!"  Although I am not leaving SRU this summer, instead continuing to work with Residence Life for the next few months, the end of this year evokes numerous emotions for me.  I know that I have disappointed many people, but I feel that there have also been very positive aspects and elements to this year, with which I hope have made these same individuals proud.  Regardless of the mistakes I made in the past, I have learned from them.  I have changed; made adjustments in my life. I am proud of where this year has taken me, and I am so blessed to have met the people here at SRU I now consider family.  As I think back about where I was just one year ago, I'm very happy and surprised with where I am now.  
     As I write this last blog, an incredibly appropriate song is playing: Semisonic's Closing Time"Gather up your jackets, move it to the exits, I hope you have found a friend."  The majority of my friends here at SRU are upperclassmen, ready to graduate in ten days, or ready to experience field and student teaching starting next fall.  I will be missing a great many of my closest friends next year, including my sister, who graduates next week.  I will be moving off campus, living with three completely new roommates.  I will be turning 21, and starting a new on-campus job.  As much as I am sad about my first two years of college ending, next year is almost an entirely new beginning, "Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end."  I'm beyond excited to have made it through this year.  I'm also incredibly glad to still have two years to go.  "Closing time, time for you to go out to the places you will be from."  It's almost time for my friends to "go out" to those places they will soon call 'home,' it's almost time for them to start their big boy and big girl lives.  It's almost "closing time" for their fun filled years here at SRU.  I may be getting left behind, stuck with my youth to finish out my undergraduate degree... but I could not be more happy about staying.  SRU is my home away from home, and English Ed. is my family.  I can't imagine where I will be a year from now, what mistakes I will have made, or what I will have learned... all I know is that there are 10 days left at SRU for me this year.  For my friends, these are their last 10 days at SRU forever.  Congratulations class of 2012!  SRU will miss you, but the real world can't wait to meet you! "Closing time, you don't have to go home, but you can't stay here!"

No comments:

Post a Comment